Sabla Panchayat initiative will be focused on the empowerment of women and spreading messages which will encourage women to come forward and use the existing government schemes and raise their voice towards the injustice in society. The BYV volunteers will be working on the following interventions:
A campaign against Child Marriage
The issue of child marriage is quite prevalent in Odisha. The Government of Odisha along with international development agencies have tried to intervene to curb the situation.
- Training programs for Child Marriage Prohibition Officers
- Gender sensitization of college students across the state
- Orientation of high school students in tribal districts
- Career guidance for children to help them dream big.
BYVs can make a difference by
- Inspiring adolescent girls and boys to voice their opinions against child marriage.
- Helping them refuse to get married below the age of 18 and 21 years respectively.
- Select those who stand up to these value systems as MU Heroes and making them role models for other girls and boys in their villages.
- Counselling family members of the children, especially the girls.
Campaign Against Dowry and Formation of Women Support Groups Against Domestic Violence
In several instances the tribal youth of Odisha has come forward to stop practices dowry and domestic violence in their panchayats. But in many cases women might not have the courage to go to the police station. Thus the BYVs will work against issues like Dowry and Domestic Violence.
BYVs can act as a powerful catalyst for change
- Using schools and colleges to educate the rural and urban youth on these issues.
- Mobile based apps such as WhatsApp groups can be handled by the volunteers.
- Victims of domestic violence and dowry can report their cases.
- Using digital tools to help women feel part of a wider network.
- Being involved in a shared vision to stop gender-based violence.
- Being effective in rescuing victims and addressing issues on a real-time basis.
- Urging men and women to show an equal amount of support and come forward for this cause.
Sensitization on Rights and Entitlements of Women
Many state-wide campaigns have taken place in the past for sensitizing women on their rights and entitlements to bring about gender equality.
Channels of Education
- Television advertisements on local Odia channels.
- Awareness videos on the girl child.
- Street plays.
- Wall paintings .
- Quiz contests .
- Celebration of local Odia festivals such as ‘Rajo’ and ‘Kumar Purnima’ across districts.
- Motivational speeches by senior leaders of the government and celebrities can prove impactful among the masses.
Channels of Education
- Television advertisements on local Odia channels
- Awareness videos on the girl child
- Street plays
- Wall paintings
- Quiz contests
- Celebration of local Odia festivals such as ‘Rajo’ and ‘Kumar Purnima’ across districts
- Motivational speeches by senior leaders of the government and celebrities can prove impactful among the masses