About BIJU YUVA VAHINI
Regarded as one of the largest youth engagement program in India and the only of its kind,BYV started its journey as a sub-scheme, which was introduced by the Department of Sports and Youth Services (DSYS) Government of Odisha with the Cabinet’s approval on 14th March 2018. The holistic approach was aimed at channelizing the immense energy of the youth of Odisha towards a nation building by inspiring volunteerism and active participation of the youth in various social action projects and community engagement activities thereby encouraging and enhancing comradeship, personality development, leadership and overall shaping a national character and good citizenship. The objective was to create a youth force in the age group of 15-35 in the state and make them the focal point for dissemination of knowledge within the community by targeted intervention through sports, art and culture across the state. Overall, BYV manifested to promote a healthy lifestyle and infuse a scientific temper amongst the youth of Odisha. Presently, 8000 BYV units were formed across all the 6799 Gram Panchayats (GP) and 114 Urban Local Bodies (ULB) in the state and work is in progress for building a wide youth network through an online youth platform namely the BYV Android Application and through social media networks like Facebook page and twitter. Sharing of experiences, documentation of best practices, interactions and feedback mechanism is done thorough these medias and publication of “Yuva Vani” a bi- monthly newsletter documents all the best practices from the field level undertaken by the volunteers. Presently, 2, 66,000 BYV volunteers have been enrolled and actively and relentlessly volunteering in the socio-cultural, sports, literacy and education, health and sanitation, youth empowerment, inclusive development and in the fields of community development in Odisha. Carving a niche for itself, today BYV is a household name to be reckoned with as an agent of social change that have not only won numerous laurels from the Government but also won the hearts of people.
The BYV sub-scheme, the first of its kind in India, was introduced by the Department of Sports and Youth Services (DSYS) Government of Odisha with the Cabinet’s approval on 14th March 2018.
- Channelize the immense energy of the youth of Odisha towards Nation-Building Activities .
- Inspire the Spirit of Volunteerism.
- Promote active participation in various Social Action Projects and Community Engagement Activities.
- Encourage traits of Comradeship; Personality Development, Leadership Qualities, National Character and Good Citizenship.
- Engage the youth between the ages of 15 -35 in the state.
- Make the youth the focal point for dissemination of knowledge within the community.
- Target youth interventions through Sports, Social, Art & Culture programmes across the state.
- Promote a healthy lifestyle and scientific temper amongst them .
- 8000 BYVs will form across all 6799 Panchayats and 114 Urban Local Bodies .
- Build youth networks through an online youth voices platform.
- Interactions, feedback, sharing of experiences and documentation of best practices .